Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from November 14, 2017

N293m Payroll Fraud Suspects Get Bail

Sahara reporters Justice Peter Kekemeke of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court sitting in Apo, Abuja, on Tuesday, November 14, 2017, granted bail to nine suspected fraudsters accused of conspiracy and stealing of workers' entitlements to the tune of N293 million. The suspects - Usman Aliyu Dayo, Osuntope Opeyemi, Johnson Adedokun, Ojeifo Robert Slyvanus, Oyebade Ebenezer Ayodeji, Florence Olaolu Dada, Olaolu Haruna Dada, Blessing Ejeh and Aderibigbe Isaac Taiwo - were said to have breached Section 97(1) of the Penal Code Act (Abuja) LFN 1990. The defendants, who pleaded not guilty to the 16-count charge preferred against them by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had been in prison custody on the order of the court since November 1 when they were arraigned. Ruling on their bail application today, Justice Kekemeke admitted each of the accused persons to bail in the sum of N5 million with two sureties each in like sum.  The sureties must b...

Fire destroys multi-million naira goods in ondo market

Tragedy struck at a market in Road Block area of Akure, the Ondo State capital on Tuesday, following a fire outbreak that destroyed scores of shops which contained multi-million naira goods. It was gathered that the incident happened in the morning when there was nobody around the area. According to a source, some of the items destroyed by the fire included food items, barbing equipment, tailoring materials, among others. The source said, “The fire incident started around 2am in the market and spread to the locked up shops in the market. “We believe it was caused by power surge somewhere in the market, because there was no one around when it started.” The source added that the fire would not have wrecked much havoc if the men of the Ondo State Fire Service had come on time after a distress call was put across to them. Another source narrated that some of the affected traders had just stocked their shops in preparation for the Christmas period. To this end, the affected traders have...

Four herdsmen attempted to rape two women in Benue

The Police Command in Benue says it has arrested four suspected herdsmen for alleged attempt to rape two women – Doosul Nambo and Ladi Mhbahme – in Guma Local Government area of the state.  herdsmen The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), ASP Moses Yamu told on Tuesday in Makurdi said that the herdsmen also killed one Apesuu Uhula, who came to the rescue of the women.  Yamu named the suspected herdsmen as Ibrahim Muhammadu, Abubakar Ahmadu, Ibrahim Fulani and Adamu Bature, adding that they were arrested along with their cows.  He said that the herdsmen were attempting to rape Nambo and Mhbahme both of Isho Village in Guma local government, when they were arrested following security tip-off.  He further explained that the herdsmen shot dead one Apesuu Uhula who came to the rescue of the women.  “One Apesuu Uhula, who came to her rescue was shot dead.  The Police moved immediately to the scene; while at the scene, some herdsmen were seen trying t...

Court remands,65 year old man for alleged homosexuality in Niger

 A Minna Chief Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday remanded a 65-year-old man, Patrick Kalu, in prison for allegedly having anal sex with a 15 years old boy.  The accused who resides in Railway Quarters, Minna, pleaded guilty to the offence.  The Chief Magistrate, Hassan Mohammed, however, ordered that the accused be remanded in prison and adjourned the case until Jan, 25, 2018. Earlier, the Prosecutor, Abdullahi Maiyaki, had told the court that the accused was arrested on Nov. 8, for having sex through the anus with a 15-year-old boy.  He said that Kalu was arrested during the act, adding that he had kept the victim in his house for over one year.  Maiyaki said that the accused lured the unsuspecting victim from Karimo area of Abuja on the pretext of securing him a job.  He said that the offence contravened Section 284 of the Panel Code Law. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the section prescribes a 14-year jail term with no option of fine, u...

North Korea nuclear arsenal too developed to destroy quickly- Moon

North Korea president-kim jong-un President Moon Jae-in of South Korea said on Tuesday it would not be easy for reclusive North Korea to destroy its nuclear arsenal quickly, even if  it wanted to, given its weapons programmes were so developed.  North Korea is under heavy international pressure to end its weapons programmes, pursued in defiance of UN Security Council resolutions.  It has vowed never to give up its nuclear arsenal.  Speaking to reporters in the Philippines, Moon said that if North Korea agreed to hold talks, negotiations could be held with all options open. “If talks begin to resolve the North Korea nuclear issue, I feel it will be realistically difficult for North Korea to completely destroy its nuclear capabilities when their nuclear and missile arsenal are at a developed stage,” Moon said in a briefing.  “If so, North Korea’s nuclear programme should be suspended, and negotiations could go on to pursue complete denuclearization.”...

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *