Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from October 14, 2017

After Twitter suspension, Rose McGowan says: 'HW raped me'

(AP/kingsmedia)-After a suspension earlier in the day from Twitter, actress Rose McGowan forcefully re-emerged Thursday, stating more frankly what she has long suggested: "HW raped me." "HW" was apparently in reference to Harvey Weinstein, the embattled former Weinstein Co. co-chairman. "Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein," Weinstein's representative Sallie Hofmeister said Thursday. McGowan last year said that she had been raped by a "studio head." The New Yorker expose that ran Tuesday reported that Weinstein had allegedly sexually assaulted three women, though the third woman was unnamed. The New York Times earlier reported that Weinstein paid a financial settlement of $100,000 to McGowan in 1997 over an incident in a hotel room at the Sundance Film Festival in Utah. The Summit County Sheriff's Office, which shares a records system with Park City Police, had no reports or calls inv...

Sport: Abdullahi hopes to make Nigeria squad for 2018 world cup

Cyprus-based defender Shehu Abdullahi is confident of making the Super Eagles’ final squad for the Russia 2018 World Cup after narrowly missing out on the last edition in Brazil, Completesportsnigeria.com reports. Abdullahi who was adjudged the man of the match in Nigeria’s 1-0 win over Zambia – a result which sealed the country’s sixth appearance at the World Cup – admits that the jostling for places on the plane to Russia with the Super Eagles will not be easy. The 25-year-old Abdullahi is currently ahead of Hull City defender Ola Aina and ADO Den Haag’s Tyrone Ebuehi in the pecking order at right-back in the squad. “It is not easy to make the final list for the World Cup, but I will make sure I work hard, concentrate, remain fit and give my best to the team,” Abdullahi told Completesportsnigeria.com. “I’m happy being part of this Super Eagles squad.” The Anothosis Famagusta defender also hopes to continue his impressive form for his team who are currently leading the ...

Unilag lecturer stabs postgraduate student

A postgraduate student of the University of Lagos, Jimi Fatunbi, has been allegedly injured by two lecturers at the university campus. Fatunbi told  Saturday PUNCH  on Friday how he was slapped and stabbed by the lecturers at about midnight on Wednesday. He identified the lecturers as Dr.BabawaleTaiwo and Dr. Israel Abiala, who lecture at the Departments of Mathematics and Statistics; and Arts and Social Sciences Education respectively. It was gathered that the incident happened at the UNILAG’s Faculty of Education roundabout. Fatunbi, studying for masters in English Language, is a resident of the Henry Carr Postgraduate Hall. He explained that the incident, which started out as a conversation turned bloody when he alighted from his vehicle to complain about how one of the lecturers banged on the body of his car. He said, “I went to take my car from Elkanemi hall, where it was initially parked, to Henry Carr. While I was reversing at Elkanemi P...

Mourinho, man untd going for victory at 'strong 'liverpool

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho has insisted that the side will be going all out for victory when they face Liverpool in a Premier League clash at Anfield on Saturday. Mourinho tends to employ a cautious approach in the big away games, but he has promised to target victory for his side, who are second in the table only on goals difference. “We want to win but we play against a team that wants the same,” Mourinho told MUTV on Friday. “They play at home, they’re very strong in matches against top teams and we know it won’t be easy. We must forget, like we always do, about the injured players who are not available for the match. “We focus on what we have and we go strong, with a strong mentality and strong desire to win.” Mourinho then gave some insight into how he might line up on Saturday. “I will play with one defender and one striker, don’t worry about it,” he joked. “We play with one guy behind and then we go with the new system, even an evolution of the WM [old style ...

Nelly rape accuser reportedly dropping the case -Nelly wants an apology

Earlier this week we brought you news about the allegation brought on the famous American hip hop star Nelly raping a lady on his tour bus. Reports have it that the lady is reportedly dropping the case because she doesn't want to testify against the rapper In a letter her lawyer, Karen koheler   sent to Auburn police department in Washington on Friday, 13th ,of October the woman said "she want to put a halt to the criminal investigation" We do not live in a society where a 21 year old college student can feel safe enough to pursue criminal charges against a celebrity for an alleged rape,” the woman’s lawyer wrote in the letter  obtained by TMZ , citing privacy concerns after information about the alleged victim’s meeting with police was released to the press. “People are saying horrible things [about her] already,” the lawyer stated. “She cannot handle this.she is about  to break.” So “she will not testify further in a criminal proceeding against him,” the letter c...

Court orders forfeiture of N1.4bn Paris and London Club refunds in two banks

JUSTICE Mojisola Olatoregun of the Federal High Court, Lagos, on Friday, ordered that the total sum of N1,442,384,857.84, which is part of refunded Paris and London Club loans domiciled in Access Bank Plc and Guaranty Trust Bank be temporary forfeited to the Federal Government. The order came after the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had approached the court with an ex-parte application marked FHC/L/CS/158../2017, filed and argued by the agency’s counsel, E. E. Iheanacho. The court also ordered the EFCC to notify whoever is interested in the said money to appear before the court and show cause why the money should not be finally forfeited. The judge also directed the EFCC to publish the temporary forfeiture order in a national newspaper for the respondents or anyone who is interested in the money to appear before the court and show cause within 14 days why final forfeiture order will not be made. Listed as respondents in the suit are Melrose General Services Limit...

Call for restructuring suspicious-presidency

The Presidency has described the call for restructuring Nigeria, particularly from those who were in power for 16 years as suspicious. Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, stated this yesterday even as he said that the Muhammadu Buhari’s administration was not opposed to restructuring but is opposed to anything that will splinter the country. Adesina spoke at the Change We Need Nigeria Initiative 8th Annual Lecture Series with the theme: Disintegration or Restructuring: Which Way Nigeria? The presidential spokesman who described the theme of the lecture as timely, said restructuring doesn’t necessarily need to be accompanied with disintegration, noted that Nigeria has always restructured but has never led to the country falling apart. Adesina said, “In the history of Nigeria there was a time where the various people and communities lived in this space that is today called Nigeria. And then the colonial masters came, formed what is called the nort...

Liberian election:weah retains lead as more results are been announced

George Weah of the Congress for Democratic Change (CDC) retained his lead as the second batch of provisional results of Tuesday’s presidential elections in Liberia were released on Friday. According to figures read out by Mr Jerome Korkoya, Chairman of the National Elections Commission (NEC) Weah remained ahead with 39 per cent of the polling places so far processed. Vice President Joseph Boakai of the ruling Unity Party retained his second position with 31.1 per cent of the votes. “Starting with Mr George Weah of the CDC, of the total number of places we have processed, he has obtained 240,750 votes; that would represent 39.6 per cent. “He would be followed by Mr Joseph Boakai of the Unity Party. He has obtained 160,975 votes, and that would represent 31.1 per cent. “Mr Charles Brumskine of the Liberty Party has obtained 48,219 votes, and that represents 9.3 per cent. “Mr Alexander Cummings of the ANC (Alternative National Congress) has received 34,550 votes, and that represe...

Electricity tariff may increase by 61.5% soon -NERC

The tariff payable by electricity consumers may increase by 61.5 per cent any time soon following the latest revelation by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission on Friday that it was waiting for a final approval from the Federal Government before implementing the new rate . According to NERC , the actual tariff for one kilowatt -hour of power is meant to be N 51 , as against the current unit cost of N31.58 for which electricity distribution companies are selling the commodity . NERC explained that the actual tariff of N 51 / KWH was arrived at based on the economic fundamentals considered when carrying out minor tariff reviews, adding that the commission had completed the process for the new tariff but had yet to receive an approval from the Federal Government to announce its implementation . It disclosed this at a training programme in Abuja . On several occasions , power distributors had complained about the inappropriateness of the N 31 .58 / KWH of energy , and alleg...

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *